Sunday, April 5, 2009

Hoping Spring Is Eternal

While I cover college football and college basketball with a lot of passion, it's still a job.




While I love the NFL and fantasy football, autumn Sundays are for the kids. It's weekday nights that are for my appointment viewing.

There is only one sport that I truly enjoy as a fan above all others and Opening Day is here.

It is my down season professionally and the DirecTV/MLB Extra Innings Package may be one of the greatest inventions of our lifetime. We can watch all the Yankee games (in HD no less), even if we live in Omaha, Kalamazoo, or Savannah. Stuck in the car? Every single MLB game is on XM Radio. Stuck in an office? Watch the games on mlb.com.

That's the difference between baseball and the other sports, it's meant to be followed day-in, day-out for six months. And MLB and their broadcast entities make it accessible for the die-hard fan.

One of the great thrills of my youth was when the morning paper came so I could read the boxscores, check out the standings, and see who's pitching tonight all on the same page. As a baseball romantic, it saddens me to see newspapers dying a slow death, but the information is still just a few keystrokes away.

You can still find out who's pitching. And it's giving me goosebumps.

1. CC Sabathia
2. AJ Burnett
3. Chien-Ming Wang
4. Andy Pettitte
5. Joba Chamberlain

Like I said, appointment viewing. I have the enthusiasm of a child, and I hope my children will share it with me. This is the year, again.

No comments:

Post a Comment