Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Atlanta: Destination vs Weigh Station

I don't believe there's an official quotation, but the old phrase goes something like this: "Whether your final destination is heaven or hell, you have to connect through Atlanta."


And that is often my view. As a Savannah-based business traveler, I find myself going through Atlanta much more than going to Atlanta.

I often have 3 minutes to shuttle 3 terminals over, just to find my connecting flight's been delayed 3 hours. Not that it's the end of the world, there are plenty of things to do (eat) in the Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International airport. And plenty of places to kill the time with a drink (or four).

But this trip I actually have 3 days in the ATL. It's work of course so I won't be out too much in Buckhead or Virginia-Highland or whatever is fresh since I last set up camp here in 1996 (a lot more on that tomorrow). I don't know if the places I used to frequent even exist anymore. But it's nice for a city guy to look out a 15th floor downtown window sometimes.


And I flew: one segment here, one segment home. What a novel concept. Yes, driving with the satellite radio is nice and you have more flexibility with your departure and arrival times, but impossible to do any reading - homework or otherwise.

So I look forward to actually having more than a night here. And maybe somewhere between the hotel and the Georgia Dome, I might just carve out some time to party like it's 1996.

No comments:

Post a Comment