Friday, January 4, 2013

Songs You Can't Get Out Of Your Head


When you're driving the kids all over town, the repetition of bubblegum pop becomes almost as second nature as the incessant questions of an 8-year old.

As I'd mentioned before, the kids overruled me several months ago on Kids Place Live in favor of Radio Disney on the XM. It was a seismic shift. There's a reason these songs make millions of dollars and send tweens screeching, it's some formula that music-appreciating adults can't get their arms around.

Not that one couldn't occasionally become trapped. The Macarena was impossible to shake in the 90s, and I was whistling Who Let The Dogs Out? for months when the New York Mets made their run to the World Series in 2000.

But now it happens all the time. First it was Call Me Maybe. Then it was One Direction's boy band anthem, What Makes You Beautiful. Now I can't keep Taylor Swift out of my head for more than a few minutes.

"I knew you were trouble when you walked in"

But unfortunately there's a pattern with this brilliant 23-year old singer/songwriter. Her hit songs are all about breakups and resentment like I Knew You Were Trouble, We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together, and You Belong With Me (you know instead of her).

She's like the American Amy Winehouse, except with Winehouse it's "I told you I was trouble" (from You Know I'm No Good). With Swift it's "I knew you were trouble." Transference much? How very American. Bill Maher even posited that one day Swift will have a moment of clarity and write a song called "Maybe It's Me."

Regardless, Disney has decided to play the shit out of Taylor Swift. And it's catchy as hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment